How good is tea tree oil for dandruff treatment? Does it help, seborrheic dermatitis, scalp psoriasis, folliculitis and sores? Read on to find out why it is good, how to use, reviews, and best shampoo that comes with this oil.
How good is Tea Tree oil for Dandruff?
Tea tree oil and dandruff
In the olden days, tea tree oil was widely used in treatment of infections and wounds. This explains its potential to offer medicinal value.
Tea tree oil is now used as one of the home remedies all over the world in dandruff treatment. There are specific properties that explain why tea tree oil is good for dandruff. They include the following;
This oil is praised for its antifungal properties which explains why the oil, when applied on your scalp, kills bacteria which causes over production of skin cells. This inhibits formation of dandruff. The antifungal property of tea tree oil further explains its ability to kill the fungus which causes dandruff.
A study carried out by Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology explains that, antifungal properties of tea tree oil work against P-ovale and treats dandruff.
Antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties
This is a very powerful property of tea tree oil. It helps in elimination of itching which comes with dandruff on the scalp.
Terpinen-4-ol contained in tea tree oil has been found to have anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties which are perfect in treatment of scalp complications such as dandruff.
Also known to be a natural germicide, tea tree oil kills germs which destroy the normal functioning of the scalp and as a result causing dandruff.
When applied on your scalp, tea tree oil unclogs the hair follicles and as such clearing fungal infections and bacterial infections as well. When the infections are treated, dandruff has no place to grow.
Tea tree oil is an effective moisturizer. It moisturizes the scalp and hence preventing it from drying up. When the scalp is well moisturized, dirt and dead skin cells on the scalp are gotten rid of. It is also one of the best ways to do away with the itchiness which comes with dandruff. 
Benefits of using tea tree oil for dandruff
There are so many benefits that come with use of tea tree oil. The benefits arise from the above properties. These benefits include;
- Tea tree oil gets rid of itchiness that comes with dandruff. This is explained by the anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties of this oil
- Tea tree oil helps heal dandruff without causing the scalp to dry. This is so because tea tree oil has the ability to moisturize the scalp
- This oil kills fungus that causes dandruff leaving your scalp healthy and free of any other fungal infections
- When you apply tea tree oil on your scalp, it opens up the pores allowing for proper air circulation. When the scalp is healthy, conditions like dandruff are gotten rid of completely. 
How to use tto for dandruff and itchy scalp treatment
You need to understand the procedure to be followed when using tea tree oil for dandruff and an itchy scalp treatment.
The antiseptic and antifungal properties of tea tree oil help get rid of scalp itchiness and dandruff. The manner in which you use the oil determines how effectively it works. Below are the directions.
- Add a few drops to your shampoo
- Shake it well to ensure it mixes properly
- Massage the shampoo on your scalp then wait for about five minutes before rinsing it off
Alternatively, you can follow the method below;
- Massage a few drops of the tea tree oil on you scalp
- Allow the oil to stay on your scalp up to the time you start experiencing a cooling and tingling sensation
- Cover your hair using a shower cap for the whole night
- Using a natural shampoo, wash your hair in the morning.
Tea Tree oil with other ingredients for dandruff
For better results, you can use tea tree oil with other ingredients. Most specialists advise that you apply a combination of tea tree oil and other oils such as olive oil and jojoba oil. This is so as to reduce the concentration of tea tree oil. This helps you avoid irritation and any form of itching.
Tea tree oil with Aloe Vera
To start with, you can use tea tree oil with Aloe Vera. The following guidelines will be helpful.
- Add 25 drops of pure tea tree oil to about 50 ml of aloe vera gel
- Shake the mixture well to ensure it mixes evenly
- Apply the mixture on your scalp and let it stay on the scalp for 45 minutes
- Rinse your hair with your shampoo
- To completely get relief of the scalp fungus, follow this process two times in a week
Baking soda with tea tree oil for dandruff
Baking soda is another ingredient that is effective when used with tea tree oil. While tea tree oil has antifungal and antibacterial properties, baking soda speeds up the rate at which the dandruff will get treated.
The following are the instructions to be followed.
- Add 2 teaspoons of baking soda into half cup of water.
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil then mix it evenly
- Allow it to sit in the scalp for twenty minutes then use water to rinse it off
- Do this 2 times a week
Best tea tree oil shampoo for dandruff
Choosing the best tea tree shampoo is a personal decision since the scalp type differs from one person to another. Factors that you will need to consider when choosing the shampoo include; features, ingredients, and comfort. Among the best ranked shampoos are the following;
Jason tea tree oil dandruff shampoo
Among the best shampoos for eliminating dandruff is the Jason dandruff shampoo made using tea tree oil. This shampoo treats the effects that come with dandruff such as itching, flaking and scaling.
Research shows that this shampoo nourishes and cleanses the scalp increasing the speed at which the scalp heals. 
Paul Mitchell tea tree oil shampoo for dandruff
This is a special shampoo which contains special ingredients. Such ingredients include; tea tree oil, lavender, and peppermint. It is these special ingredients that will help get rid of any impurities in your hair leaving the scalp very clean. When you wash your hair with the shampoo, it leaves it smelling nice and hence does not cause any smell discomfort.
One of the identified advantages of Paul Mitchel tea tree shampoo is that, after using the shampoo and then rinsing and washing the hair, you do not experience irritation in the scalp. This shampoo is suitable for all hair types. 
How to use tea tree oil Seborrheic dermatitis
According to an article published by Drugs in Dermatology in 2008, the population struggling with Seborrheic dermatitis adds up to about 3 to 5 %. Seborrheic dermatitis is a condition which affects the scalp causing it to be red, have scaly patches and form dandruff that is stubborn.
There are different methods through which you can use your tea tree oil for Seborrheic dermatitis. The most effective method is where you use a mixture of tea tree oil and carrier oil.
- Mix 10 parts of tea tree oil with 90 parts carrier oil such as jojoba oil
- Apply the mixture on your scalp by massaging gently and evenly
- Let the solution sit on the scalp for ten minutes
- Wash it off with wash cloth that is warm. In case your scalp is very greasy, remove the excess oil using a gentle cleanser
Even that, it is important to note that the mixture of tea tree oil and carrier oil may react differently for different people. You are therefore advised to start slowly. Try the oil on a small area so as to see how it reacts. 
How to use tea tree oil for scalp psoriasis
Scalp psoriasis is a disorder of the skin that makes it reddish, gets it raised and leaves it with scaly patches. You can comfortably treat this condition using tea tree oil. The instructions below will be helpful.
- Into a small bowl, add a few drops of tea tree oil
- Dip a cotton bowl into tea tree oil and apply the oil evenly on the scalp affected by psoriasis
- In case it irritates the scalp, add some natural oil to ease the condition
- Allow it to sit in the scalp overnight
- Use your preferable shampoo to wash your hair.You could add a few tea tree oil drops into your shampoo and conditioner
For more effective results, you can use a mixture of tea tree oil and other natural oils. For instance, a mixture of olive oil and tea tree oil is one of the most effective mixtures.
Tea Tree Oil with Olive Oil
- Make a mixture of tea tree oil and olive oil at an equal ratio
- Warm the mixture slightly then apply it on the area that has been affected
- Take the oil and massage it on the scalp gently allowing it to stay on the scalp for about an hour
- Use water to rinse the hair and pat it dry. A mild shampoo will be better for rinsing your hair in the case of scalp psoriasis
- Repeat the procedure regularly until you see results
Tea tree oil scalp sores
Like any other scalp condition, scalp sores can be treated using tea tree oil. Scalp sores refer to a sensation that is very painful.
- Add a 4 drops of tea tree oil to any carrier oil, for example, jojoba oil
- Make an even mixture of the two oils and leave it over night
- In the morning, massage the oil on the scalp gently
- For at least two weeks, keep repeating the process until the process totally clears
You should also note that, this mixture not only heals the scalp sores but also restores good health of the scalp avoiding any future scalp problems. 
Tea tree oil for scalp folliculitis
Scalp folliculitis is a scalp condition characterized by pustules that are small and itchy. It is an inflammatory disorder that is associated with hair follicles.
- Take a few drops of tea tree oil
- Massage the oil on your scalp gently
- Repeat this frequently for the best results
TTO for Dandruff Review