Studies show that people who have warts keep on finding a way of eliminating them. Warts are growths on the skin that cause no pain and are usually small in size.
Human papillomavirus (HPV) is associated with formation of warts. Research shows that about 70% of Americans have the HPV. This increases the possibility of the Americans getting warts. This article focuses on the duct tape method of wart removal.
Duct Tape Wart Removal-Does it work fast?
Duct tape method of removing warts is one of the cheapest ways through which a wart is removed. It simply involves use of a tape.
How it works
You will need to understand how a duct tape works before purchasing it. Normally, a wart will only survive if exposed to sufficient air.
Duct tape is thought to suffocate the growth of warts by preventing entry of air and sunshine.
When a duct tape is placed on the wart, the process is referred to as Duct Tape Occlusion Therapy. Occlusion is the process of preventing something from reaching nutrients or other requirements for its growth.
A duct tape, which is waterproof, will therefore prevent the wart from reaching out to anything that boosts its growth.
Although there is more research being carried out, it is as well thought that duct tape induces the immune system to fight the warts and any other virus.
When the immune system attacks the human papillomavirus at the area where the wart is located, the virus is completely destroyed. When this happens, the wart disappears on its own with time.
In addition to that, duct tape is said to be effective in healing the wart since its sticky substance gets rid of the dead skin cells that create a home for the virus.
Benefits of using a duct tape
According to Dr. Dean Focht of Children’s Hospital Medical Center, duct tape method of wart removal is better than cryotherapy. Cryotherapy refers to using liquid nitrogen to freeze the wart.
Below are some of the benefits of using duct tape method to get rid of warts in comparison with other methods;
- It is cheaper
All you will need to do is get an original duct tape which consists of three layers. Sometimes, you may need to add substances like salicylic acid to fasten the healing. Even that, this method remains less costly than visiting a doctor for other forms of treatment.
- It is painless
If you follow the instructions given on how to use duct tape for warts painlessly, you will realize that the process doesn’t hurt.
- It is a simple procedure
Classified as a do it yourself method (DIY), duct tape for warts is easy and can be done comfortably at home. All you need is to acquire the right duct tape and follow the instructions give.
How to get rid of warts with duct tape overnight
Using duct tape, you can get rid of warts by carefully following some steps. The following are the steps you need to follow when removing warts from the foot, face and genital tags respectively;
Warts on Foot
- Clean the bottom of your foot thoroughly in preparation for the rest of the procedure.
- Using a pumice stone, remove the thickened layer of skin (callous) on the wart. This is because, the pain in the warts, especially planter warts on foot is caused by the overlying callous. Removing the layer using the pumice stone will relieve you of the symptoms. However, if you have peripheral neuropathy or diabetes, do not use a pumice stone as it damages your tissues.
- Apply salicylic acid on the wart area. This is also meant to further remove the overlying callous just in case the pumice stone did not work for you. You can acquire the salicylic acid through over the counter prescription. This acid dissolves the protein (keratin) of the overlying thick layer on the wart.
- Alternatively, you could apply Apple cider vinegar before placing the duct tape on the wart. ACV contains acetic acid in high percentage. This acid has antiviral properties giving it the ability to kill HPV. You are required to take a cotton ball, soak it in vinegar and then apply it on the wart.
- After you have cleaned your foot, applied salicylic acid or Apple Cider Vinegar, place the duct tape on the wart. The tape should be just slightly larger than the size of the wart. Leave the tape overnight. Replace the tape with a new one after 24 hours. You should repeat this cycle for 2 to 6 weeks. 
Warts on Face
- Clean the facial area where the wart has formed. This is to prevent trapping of dirt into the skin after placing the tape. You could use a piece of soft cloth dipped into some warm water to clean the area.
- Allow the skin to dry totally. In the first step, you cleaned your face to remove the dirt and now in this step you must get rid of all moisture since it is likely to irritate the skin. In extreme cases, it causes fungal infections. Apart from that, the moisture weakens the adhesiveness of the tape. Remember, you need the tape to be able to last for at least 24 hours.
- Using a duct tape, cover the wart. You are advised to cut the grey duct tape such that it is large enough to cover the entire wart. Grey tape is found to be more effective than white tape. Note, however, that it should not be too large. Place the duct tape on the wart carefully then press it into your skin so as to ensure excellent adhesion.
- Leave the duct tape for 6 days but should it seem to fall off, replace it immediately. On the evening of the 6th day, remove the tape from the face.
- Using warm water, soak the wart for about a minute. You should do this using a soft cloth. Alternatively, immerse the region with the wart into a bowl filled with warm water. You are required to use warm water so as to soften the wart as this is a requirement if you must proceed to the next step.
- Use a gentle abrasive such as a pumice stone or emery board to scrape the wart lightly. This is aimed at getting rid of the dead tissue on the wart. This procedure is easy since you have already softened the wart using warm water in the previous step.
- After every use, you must sterilize this abrasive since the wart tissue that remains on it could cause more warts.
- Leave the wart to dry the whole night of the sixth day then apply a new duct tape in the morning. Be sure not to touch the wart as it can easily spread. If at this stage your wart has not decreased in size, see your doctor. If the progress shows a smaller wart than its size in the beginning, keep repeating the process until total disappearance of the wart.
Skin tags can grow at any age on different parts of your body. One of the most affected area is the genital area. In such a case, the tags are referred to as genital tags. Duct tape can be used to get rid of the tags following the directions below.
- Clean the affected area well enough then dry it completely.
- Cut the duct tape to a size just enough to cover the entire wart. When the duct tape is too large, it covers the healthy skin preventing it from experiencing proper air circulation as well as causing some level of discomfort
- Place the tape on the wart ensuring that it is tightly stuck on the wart. This is so as to ensure neither air nor dirt penetrates into the wart as it reduces the effectiveness of the duct tape.
- Leave the duct tape for 6 days. In case the tape falls off, replace it with a new one immediately.
- Once you remove the tape, soak the affected area into a bath, preferably a warm one. After it is rinsed well, scrub the area with a pumice stone. When you do this, the wart breaks easily and you should stop scrubbing the area as soon as you experience some pain when scrubbing.
- Leave the wart exposed overnight and apply a new tape the morning after. You could cover the area with a band if need be. Repeat the procedure until the wart disappears.
Duct Tape Plantar Wart Removal
Planter warts are non-cancerous small growths appearing at the bottom of the foot. Medically, they are called verruca plantaris.
The planter warts usually hurt and hence impair your ability to walk. Some of the planter warts go away on their own but there are times you will need to get rid of the warts instead of waiting.
When you make the decision to do so, you can always begin with the use of duct tape. Duct tape has been used by several people in removal of planter warts and it is reported to be effective.
According to Mayo clinic, medical experts expound that duct tape irritates the skin around the wart. When the skin around plantar warts is irritated, your immune system will attempt to fight the foreign object (the tape in this case) and it is this way that the wart heals.
Among the available treatments for planter warts, duct tape is considered among the safest and effective methods. You can use any color of duct tape. The duct tape is to be left on the wart for 24 hours a day for 6 weeks, 6 days a week. 
Sources and References