How can you use olive oil for acne and general skin care? Is it an effective remedy? Read on to find the properties of olive oil that make it good for face acne & scars treatment and other skin uses and benefits including, wrinkles, whitening, face glow, moisturizer etc.
Olive and Acne-How is Olive Oil good for Acne Prone Skin?
The New Health Organization points out that olive oil is not only good for the use in the kitchen, but also for cosmetic application. The quality of the olive oil that you use determines the type of result or the outcome that you will get. In order to obtain the best results, use the extra virgin olive oil.
It has the following properties:
It is a very powerful antioxidant because it has polyphenols that perform this function. This property makes your skin to remain moist throughout the day. To add more weight, acne heals faster when the skin is moist unlike when it is dry.
The presence of bacteria on your skin can make the acne condition to be worse. The use of olive oil helps to fight the bacteria as much as possible and therefore, speeding up the healing process.
It hinders the action of inflammatory mediators that bring about inflammation in acne and also prevents acne from becoming infectious.
It can constitute the ski scrubs.
The use of skin scrubs from the best quality of olive oil gives the most suitable results. They help to unclog the pores, removing dead skin cells and improving blood circulation on the skin. A scrub made from this oil is also good for the reduction of acne scars.
How do you use olive to treat/heal acne?
Usage for baby acne
The occurrence of acne in babies is a result of the transfer of maternal hormones across the placenta at the end of pregnancy, which then increases the oil secretion on your baby’s skin. The use of olive oil therefore would be really recommended as it does not produce the clogging of the pores and hence fights the unending encounters with acne.
Usage for back and chest acne
By the fact olive oil has antibacterial, antioxidant and high levels of essential vitamins, it makes it very suitable for getting rid of the acne scars.
Usage for face pimples
The oil is full of vitamin E that helps to improve blood circulation which in the long run helps in tissue regeneration that brings about faster healing of acne scars. It also has very little acid content as compared to other oils. The acid content is less than 1% and this makes it a very good agent to facilitate the healing of the scars.
Olive Oil for Cystic Acne
A cystic acne is the condition that comes about when dead cells and bacteria clog the pores of your skin leading to an infection. The infection then goes deeper inside the pore, causing the area to become red and swollen.
Cystic acne happens when the infection goes deeper into your skin, creating a red, tender bump that is then filled with pus. It may itch and hurt. The infection can spread causing even more break outs.
Just as described above, olive oil has very strong anti-inflammatory properties that help it to reduce the swelling brought about by acne. It helps to exfoliate the skin and it acts as a de-clogger for the pores on the skin. Further to that, it helps to manage and prevent further break outs of the acne.
What to mix with olive oil for Acne treatment
For more effective results, you can mix olive with other ingridients including;
- Lemon juice
- Lavender oil
Below are details and how-tos
Sugar and Olive Oil Scrub for acne
The best sugar to use for this mixture is the brown sugar. The reason and benefit is that when brown sugar is used, it slowly melts, exfoliating to remove toxins from the pores and lighten the scars without causing any irritation. The recipe is as follows:
- Mix one tablespoon of extra virgin oil with one tablespoon of brown sugar to make a paste.
- Wash your face and apply to wet the skin, while you massage gently in circular motions for about three minutes
- Soak a very clean wash cloth in warm water then use it to wipe the paste off your skin
- Rinse with cool water and pat dry
- Do this regularly, three times a week
Olive oil and sea salt scrub for acne
This combination is suitable in the sense that salt exfoliates the excess impurities and excess oil that clogs the pores. Apart from that, it balances the pH of the skin. The recipe is as follows:
- Mix ¼ to ½ of extra virgin oil and one cup of fine sea salt
- Wash your face or the surface affected with plain water and apply the mixture while still wet
- Massage the face in circular motions for some minutes
- Leave the mixture on the face for about 5 minutes then rinse using lukewarm water
- Repeat the process 3 times weekly
Lemon honey and olive oil for acne
Lemon contains anti-bacterial and antimicrobial properties which fight with the bacteria causing acne. The phytoncides, and vitamin P in lemon juice prevents the growth of bacteria.
On the other hand, the antibacterial properties of honey fight with the bacteria causing acne. It soothes the redness, irritation and inflammation. The recipe is as follows:
- Mix equal quantities of lemon juice, honey, and olive oil.
- Apply the mixture on the face as a mask.
- Leave it on for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Rinse it off with warm water followed by cool water and pat dry.
- Apply moisturizer and repeat the process daily to get rid of pimples
Lavender and olive oil for acne
Lavender oil can be taken advantage of because of its astringent properties. These properties help to remove impurities from the skin pores, treat acne and then rejuvenate the damaged skin. The recipe to do this is as follows:
- Mix one to four drops of lavender oil to one tablespoon of olive oil
- Massage gently the mixture on the affected area for some minutes
- Leave it to dry till it is completely absorbed by the skin
- Repeat the process once daily
Mixing olive oil and lemon juice for acne
The combination acts as an antiseptic which help to kill bacteria that might be trapped within the skin pores. The mixture also helps to reduce inflammation as it unclogs the pores. The recipe is as follows:
- Just add a few drops of lemon juice in about 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Then after that, clean your face and apply this mixture and massage for a minute.
- Now leave this on your face for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Then wash your face with lukewarm water.
Before and after results review
Below is a before and after result of using olive for skin acne
Can Olive Oil cause Acne?
Is it true that olive oil can also cause acne?
The answer is yes. It has the potential to lead to acne formation. According to a study that was published in the British Journal of Dermatology, it is clear that olive oil contains oleic acid.
The study further pointed out that oleic acid and its peroxides induce large comediones, which are skin color bumps and papules similar to the ones seen acne.
Where the link to causing acne comes in is that oleic acid is the only fatty acid in the olive oil and it is bound to the triglycerides that are normally too large to penetrate the skin.
Similarly, bacteria on the skin produce enzymes that break triglycerides into their fatty acids. The combination of free fatty acids in the oil and those released by bacteria provide a steady supply of oleic acid to the skin.
How to use Olive oil for Acne Scars Overnight
- How good is olive oil for acne scars-can it work overnight?
The oil can be used to exfoliate the skin to remove toxins from the pores and then lighten scars in the long run. It can be used as a lone agent or in combination with other ingredients in order to lighten the scars. To do this, use your fingertips to massage extra virgin oil into skin, rubbing gently in circular motions. In the morning, rinse with lukewarm water then pat dry.
- How to use olive oil to diminish acne scars?
There is inevitable evidence of the use of olive oil to remove scars from the skin. Use only a drop or so of the oil and then apply it to the troubling areas. The following procedure is key:
- Move the fingertips in small circles to massage the scarred skin. Use deep pressure and then massage for 4 to 5 minutes
- Once your skin’s pores absorb some of the oil, use a clean paper towel to wipe the excess oil off your skin
- Repeat the process again. After you are done for the second time, let the oil to stay on the skin for 15 to 20 minutes
- Do this twice a day and watch out for any improvements
Other uses and Benefits Olive Oil for Skin
How to use olive oil for face glow
There are several ways in which olive oil can create impact in promoting the glow of the skin.
Olive oil helps to restore the moisture of the skin, it treats acne and also removes stretch marks.
A massage with the oil helps to improve blood circulation and hence makes the skin to remain full of life and glow.
The flavonoids and polyphenols present in this oil protect the skin from free radicals and prevent damage. It repairs the skin cells and makes it healthy and glowing. Here a how to use.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- A small, soft towel
- Warm water
1. Take a few drops of oil on your fingertips, and apply it all over the face and neck.
2. Massage in upward circles for two to three minutes, especially on your cheeks, nose, and forehead.
3. Dip the towel in the warm water, remove the excess water, and place this on the face for 30 to 40 seconds.
4. Dip the towel again in the warm water and gently wipe away the oil with it.
5. Pat your skin dry with a paper towel if required.
For best results use this recipe every night before going to bed.
Olive oil for face wrinkles
It prevents wrinkles because of its ant-aging benefits to the skin. It contains oleic acid and polyphenols that are the key ant-aging constituents. The oil has group B and D vitamins and saturated fats that help get rid of the wrinkles.
The oil therefore helps to smooth the skin out of the existing wrinkles and prevent the appearance of new ones around the eyes, face and the mouth.
To use it for face wrinkles follow these steps
- Apply extra virgin olive oil on affected skin before going to bed.
- Massage it gently for a few minutes, so that the oil penetrates deep into the skin.
- Leave on overnight before washing off with water the next morning.
- You can also use olive oil in your cooking or in salads.
- Or apply extra virgin olive oil on the face in circular motion and place a warm, damp washcloth on your face to open up the pores for 10 minutes.
- Repeat regularly.
- Combine 1/4 teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice in 1 – 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- Apply this mixture on the face and massage it for a few minutes.
- Or mix equal amounts olive oil and lemon juice and massage this on the forehead wrinkles for few minutes.
Olive oil for skin whitening
Olive oil is an essential ingredient in skin care products that are required for whitening of the skin. It is considered safe and full of essential vitamins in other skin products and the anti-aging compounds. It deeply moisturizes and conditions the soft skin on the face hence providing needed protection against the sun and free radicals.
Olive oil for face massage
Massage provides intense nourishment and penetrates the skin into the inner layers and this keeps the skin hydrated. Olive oil’s antioxidant properties and the fatty acids present help to moisturize and then nourish the skin of the face. The antioxidants reduce dryness, chapped skin, itchy and cracked skin and then soothe irritations and microbial skin infections.
Massaging face with olive oil tutorial
To make it essential in this case, it is because it contains essential fatty acids. It hence works to maintain the elasticity of the skin then keeps it smooth, supple and with a glowing outlook. It keeps the skin hydrated and prevents it from getting dry during winter and makes it supple and lustrous at the same time.
Tips to Choose the Best Olive oil for Skin-
- The first thing is to be aware that olive oil comes in different styles. There are different brands and types of the oil available on market.
- The other thing is to decide the reason for which you want the olive oil
- Ensure you get the oil that is encased in dark glass. The dark color helps to prevent oxidation of the oil which is a catalyst of deterioration and rancidity of the oil.
- Apart from that, ensure you consider the quality of the oil and not the color. Olive oil color ranges from dark green to light golden color. The colors are not indicative of the quality
Olive oil dangers & Side Effects for Skin
First of all, olive oil could make to get allergy. There are various allergic reactions that can occur as a result of the oil. They include contact dermatitis, eczema and even respiratory allergies. They are encountered after the topical application of the oil.
You are also likely to get rashes on the skin as a result of using the oil. The skin is made in a way that it can produce its own oil. As a result, when you apply olive oil, which then mixes with the body oil, it causes irritation, rashes and redness on your skin.
It can also cause blackheads in the course of application. Because of the sticky and oily nature, olive oil gives way for the growth of black heads on your face. The greasy oil forms a layer on your skin that then traps dirt and dead skin into it. This I the end paves way for the formation of blackheads.
Olive oil could lead to the eruption of fat related diseases. It therefore affects the level of good cholesterol in the body and increasing the bad one. This is a precursor for the development of cardiovascular diseases.
The oil also has the ability to lower the level of body blood sugar below the normal levels. How this comes about is because it leads to increased insulin resistance. The overuse of the oil makes you be susceptible to other heath complications like hypoglycemia, sweating, weakness and even trembling.
The oil has the possibility of leading to an increase in the blood pressure of the body. This is because you get to be more prone to diseases like lightheadedness, stroke and even kidney failure.
References and Sources
I just like the valuable info you supply for your articles.
I’ll bookmark your blog and test once more here regularly.
I am moderately sure I will be informed many new stuff proper right
here! Good luck for the following!