Bunions can be quite uncomfortable when not taken care of in the early stages. In this article, find out if it is possible to reverse this joint swelling without surgery and ways to shrink bunions naturally.
Can Bunions be Reversed Naturally without Surgery?
A bunion is an inflammation of the sac bursa around the first joint of the big toe, accompanied by swelling and sideways displacement of the joint.
It comes into existence when your big toe presses against your next toe, forcing the big toe joint to grow bigger and jut out.
Can you bunions be reversed without surgery?
According to experts it is almost impossible. It is thought all bunions are permanent unless surgically corrected. However, according to Dina Stock, DPM, a podiatrist, there are some measures you can take to reduce their negative effects or to slow a bunion’s growth.
How to get Rid of Bunions Naturally at Home
There are many ways in which you can deal with the bunions at the comfort of your home. The following are some of them:
Put on wider shoes
Switching from tight fitting to loose-fitting or wider shoes can reduce the stress on your shoes and give you relief from bunions. It allows enough space for more wiggle room for your toe.
This is according to the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. The pressure on the big toe is thereby taken off thus allowing more circulation and motion afterwards preventing the abnormality from getting worse.
Further, it is good that use certain types of shoes. The AAOS further recommends that you should not use shoes that are tight or sharply pointed as well as those that have higher heels.
This is because high heels have the ability to increase pressure at the front side of your feet and thus leading to more and more feet problems.
This oil has the ability to get rid of the bunions because it increases blood circulation and in the long run reduces the bunion size. To do this, you should follow the following procedure:
- Do a regular massage on your bunion once every morning and once every evening before retiring to bed
- Carry on with the massage until you observe a remarkable change
Use ice pack
Ice pack prevents the bunion from swelling further as it reduces the pain further. The procedure for using the ice pack is as follows:
- Place the ice pack on your foot for around 15 minutes and not more because it would lead damage to the skin
- Repeat the process on a daily basis until you get some relief
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties and these are useful in reducing or curing the bunions. The main compound in it is called curcumin.
According to a publication in Arthritis Research and Therapy, clinical trials done on the curcumin, show t that it has some relief on painful symptoms that are brought about by osteoarthritis in the joints. To use this, the procedure is as follows:
- Mix about one teaspoon of the turmeric powder with some coconut oil
- Massage the mixture to the bunion directly
- Repeat this process about three times each day till you get some relief
Use pads and shoe inserts
This helps to correct the position of your feet and thereby taking the weight off your toe that is affected. There are customized bunion pads that are available in the shops to help you in this regard
All you need to do is test the pads on your feet before you use them especially if you are using them for the first time.
Do daily exercise
There are some special rehabilitation exercises that are necessary specifically for the bunions. They help to correct and bring about some improvement. So as to benefit from the exercise, you ought to work on the muscles of your feet so as to soften the tissues on your foot. The procedure is as below:
- Prior, apply some oil or cream to the bunion
- Realign the big toe by stretching it to be in line with the rest of your foot
- Hold your toe with one hand and then apply some pressure using your thumb to the first and second bones of your foot so as to locate the bunion lump
- Apply some pressure to the lump the moment you have located the bunion. Be cautious not to apply so much pressure to your foot
- After you are done applying the pressure and massage, which should give your toe some flexibility, flex your big toe as turn the toe gently
- The muscles of your toe will now be tensed and thereafter use your hand to apply some more pressure to the muscles that originate from your big toe
How to get rid of Bunions Naturally on Pinky Toe at Home
Pinky toe or the little toe is also likely to be affected by bunions. This type of bunion also referred to as tailor’s bunion or bunionette.
The following are some of the remedies that can be used to deal with the bunions:
It has been used for a number of uses and pain being one of them. Apart from that, it has been used because it lowers the pH of your skin and thereafter eliminating any likelihoods of bacteria and fungi from developing. The procedure is as follows:
- Put some chamomile teabag in some warm water
- Remove the teabag and then massage the affected are with the tea
- Cover the area with some bandage
- Give the covered area for some 3 hours
Tea tree oil
The oil can be used to soften hardened area of the skin thus making it loose, hence its healing. The procedure is as follows:
- Massage the oil to the area two times each day
- Once the area is soft, then try scrubbing the area using a pumice stone
- Apply the oil on the area and cover it with a bandage and then let it stay overnight
Use some onion mixed with apple cider vinegar
The onion when used with apple cider vinegar is used because it softens the hardened area of the bunion. Further, the onion is known to reduce the pain and the discomfort that is brought about by the bunion. The procedure is as follows:
- Cut a piece of onion and dip it in a cup of vinegar
- Allow the piece of the onion to be in the vinegar for about a day
- Squeeze the onion around the bunion
- Cover the area with some bandage and let it stay it overnight
- Carry out the procedure regularly until the bunion heals
How to Shrink Bunions Naturally
Soak your feet in some warm water
One of the main reasons why bunions form is because of the fatigue on your toes and a lot of pressure. This denies the toes adequate blood supply and circulation. Soaking your feet in some warm water would help to improve this condition. The following procedure is ideal:
- Prepare some warm water in a bowel
- Place your feet in the warm water for about 20 minutes
- The warm water helps to relax your feet and give it some relief to move about
Use Epsom salt
This salt has some magnesium sulfate that has been known and used because of the anti-inflammatory properties and pain relieving properties. To use the salt, the procedure below would be ideal:
- Obtain enough amount of the salt and put it in some bowel of water
- Get your feet soaked in the water for a period of about 20 minutes
- Do this every day so as to give you quick relief
Red pepper has a compound that is called capsaicin. Th e compound is able to get rid of pain and the discomfort that is brought about by the bunions. The following is the procedure that you would use to give you the best outcome:
- Apply some petroleum jelly to the bunion prior to application of the pepper
- Place the red pepper on the bunion and then give it about 20 minutes
- Place a cloth on the bunion and red pepper so as to facilitate faster healing
Pineapple has the compounds called enzymes that are known to soften the hardened bunion and then bring about healing very fast. The oils are known to have several properties that range from anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and anti-pain.
Apart from that, the oils increase circulation of blood and bring down inflammation thus preventing the blisters from forming. In order to get rid of the bunion very fast, the following procedure is very essential:
- Cut a peel of the pineapple and place it over the bunion
- Cover the area with a bandage and ensure that you keep the peel in place
- Put on your socks before you go to bed
- Take the peel off your feet in the morning and then wash your feet afterwards
- Carry on the procedure repetitively for around a week till you get appreciable results
Best Natural Essential Oils Dissolve Bunions
There are a number of oils that can be used to give you relief from bunions and dissolving them. The oils can be used singly or mixed with others.
The oils are highly concentrated and are likely to have high therapeutic value.
There are a number of the oils that have been considered the best and very useful in dealing with the bunions. They include Rosemary oil
- Lavender oil
- German chamomile oil
- Sweet marjoram oil
- Peppermint oil
- Lemon oil
- Eucalyptus oil
- Castor oil
- Wintergreen oil
There are ways in which the oils can be used so as to produce results. There are several ways in which the oils can be used. They include
- Roller blend
- Foot soak
In this regard, a mixture of the oils will help. For this case, you will need,
- A dropper bottle and a small funnel
- About half a cup of some coconut oil
- Almost ten drops of eucalyptus oil
- Chamomile oils
- Lemon oil
- Marjoram oil
- Wintergreen oil
The procedure is as follows:
- Use a funnel to pour half of the coconut oil in a glass
- After that, add some drops of eucalyptus oil, German oil, sweet marjoram oil, chamomile oil and then mix them with wintergreen oil
- Having done that, get the bottle and shake very well so as to combine the mixture then store in a cool and dry place
- So as to benefit, massage the mixture of the oils to the bunion and the big toe two times a day
- Ensure that you don’t expose the affected area to direct sunlight because lemon oil is sensitive to the sun
- Carry out the massage on a daily basis especially at night so as to obtain relief
In this case, you will require,
- Some Epsom salt of about half a cup
- About ten drops of peppermint oil
- About ten drops of lavender oil
The directions are as follows:
- Fill up a basin with some hot water, as hot as your skin can be able to handle
- Mix the oils and then add them to the half cup of the Epsom salt
- Spread out the oils and salt mixture in the warm water
- Put your feet in the in the mixture for about 15 minutes
- Carry out the procedure three times in a week
Busting roller blend
You will need,
- A roller bottle
- About ten drops of sweet marjoram oil
- Around 8 drops of lemon oil
- Chamomile oil
- Coconut oil
- Roller ball remover tool
- Some lemon oil
The procedure is as follows:
- Drop some eucalyptus and sweet marjoram oil in a roller bottle and then add lemon and chamomile oil
- Add to the above some coconut oil
- Close the roller bottle and then shake the bottle very well
- Roll over the mixture to the bunion thrice daily and cover the area to prevent it from direct sunlight