How good is olive oil for wrinkles under eyes, on forehead and other parts of the body? Does it work as an anti-aging night cream? What are some of the available recipes on how it can be used to tighten skin? Does it have any side effects on eyes? Read to find out
Olive oil for wrinkles Benefits and how it works
Wrinkles are a fact of life, suffered by men and women as they age. It is a biological process caused when the fat cells beneath the dermis shrink, so the inner layer of your skin starts becoming thin. This will decrease the skin’s ability to repair damages.
Although there are many anti-wrinkle treatments available in the market, they are often expensive that is why it is always better to use homemade natural remedies, especially those made with olive oil.
Benefits of Olive Oil for Skin
- Olive oil softens your skin, contributes to moisture retention and preserves the resilience and elasticity.
- It is rich in antioxidants like polyphenols that fight against skin damaging free radicals.
- It contains vitamins A, K and E that acts as a moisturizer.
- Olive oil penetrates deep into the skin to provide necessary moisture. It repairs and also regenerates the skin cells.
- It has many nutrients that cleanses and moisturizes the skin.
- It contains polyphenols and oleic acid which act as an anti-aging property.
- It contains monounsaturated fats and vitamin B and D that prevents the formation of new wrinkles on the skin.
- It contains squalene that repairs aging skin by providing essential moisture. It also has an exfoliating property that removes dead skin cells which stimulates the body for producing more new skin cells.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties and contains oleocanthal that stops the functioning of inflammatory enzymes.
How to use olive oil for wrinkles under eye
To use olive oil to help reduce the wrinkles around your eyes, purchase some cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil. The World’s Healthiest Foods encyclopedia explains that cold compressed means that minimal heat was used when extracting the oil from the olives, and extra-virgin also indicates that there was less processing involved, and therefore the oil contains phytonutrients.
Every morning and every evening, use your fingers to gently massage the olive oil into the skin around your eyes. This will relax the area and regenerate collagen. It will help tighten the sagging skin around your eyes. This is a very delicate area, and you can damage and stretch the skin very easily, so it is imperative that you do not tug or pull on your skin when applying the olive oil.
Since eye wrinkles are caused by radicals and toxins in the body. Applying olive oil around your eyes will help eliminate them and remove eye wrinkles because of its antioxidant properties.
Olive oil can also be used on food to fight wrinkles. Make olive oil a regular part of your diet. A study published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition shows that a diet high in olive oil protects the skin against damage and subsequent wrinkles, particularly in sun-exposed areas of skin, such as around your eyes.
You can use olive oil as a salad topping or drizzle it over vegetables in place of butter. You will not only prevent wrinkles but also you may prevent a number of health issues as well.
Using olive oil for wrinkles on Forehead
Wrinkles on the forehead can be deep and stubborn. These are the most visible type of wrinkles. They are sometimes called furrow lines.
The furrow lines are not restricted to old age only. Daily stress and exhaustion can give rise to such unwanted lines even at a young age and this can be beyond your control. It is not easy to get rid of forehead wrinkles very fast. However, continuous application of olive oil can fade furrows on your forehead.
Massage the area around the wrinkles with warm olive oil on the forehead in a downward to upward motion for 10 minutes at least twice a day.
Keep taking before and after photos that you will use to review the progress of this wrinkle treatment. For better results, you can add a few drops of coconut oil.
Olive oil along with coconut oil is an excellent moisturizer that hydrates your skin effectively. The gentle massage will improve circulation to the facial tissues.
Using olive oil for wrinkles on other parts of the body recipes
- Apply extra virgin olive oil on affected skin before going to bed.
- Massage it gently for a few, minutes, so that the oil penetrates deep into the skin.
- Leave on overnight before washing off with water the next morning.
- You can also use olive oil in your cooking or in salads.
- Or apply extra virgin olive oil on the face in circular motions and place a warm, damp wash cloth on your face to open up the pores for 10 minutes.
- Repeat regularly.
- If you have dry or sensitive skin, use warm oil.
- This method is used to treat all types of skin wrinkles.
More Olive Oil for Wrinkles Recipes
Olive oil for face wrinkles
- Combine ¼ teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice in1-2 teaspoons of extra virgin oil.
- Apply this mixture on the face and massage it for few minutes.
- It improves blood circulation and skin rejuvenation
- Or mix equal amounts of olive oil and lemon juice and massage this on the forehead wrinkles for few minutes.
Olive oil with Honey and Glycerin
This process eliminates the dead skin cells along with tightening the sagged skin.
- Mix a few drops of olive oil, glycerin and honey together.
- Apply this on the affected skin.
- Massage gently for 5-10 minutes for proper blood circulation.
- Wipe it off and wash with water before patting the skin dry.
- Repeat this twice a day.
- Or make a face pack by mixing olive oil, honey and milk cream and apply this on the affected skin.
Olive oil with pineapple
Pineapple contains antioxidants, fibers and vitamins that help to promote the skins elasticity by moisturizing the skin and preventing dead and dull skin cells.
- Combine 2-3 teaspoons of olive oil with 1 cup of pineapple pieces.
- Mash or blend together and apply this on the affected skin.
- Leave for 20-25 minutes to dry naturally.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water, dry the skin and apply moisturizer.
- Continue doing this process regularly.
Olive Oil with Egg White, Milk and Honey
- Mix 1 egg white with 1 teaspoon of honey, 2 teaspoons of milk and ½ teaspoon of milk and ½ teaspoon of olive oil.
- Apply this on the affected skin and spread it like a mask.
- Leave it for 20-30 minutes to dry before rinsing with lukewarm water.
- Repeat 2-3 times a week to clear wrinkles
- Or apply a face mask prepared with 1 teaspoon of olive oil, 1 egg yolk and 1 teaspoon of manuka honey.
Note: This process is also used to treat forehead wrinkles.
Olive oil with Raw Honey and Green Apple
- Mix 2 tablespoons of organic honey and 1 finely grated green apple in 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
- Stir it well and apply this on your face and neck thoroughly.
- Massage gently for a few minutes and leave for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash and dry your face and repeat the process regularly.
Olive oil with tomatoes
Tomatoes contain lycopene and olive oil contains anti-oxidant properties which help to remove free radicals. The vitamin A and C help tighten the skin.
- Mix 5 tablespoons of tomato juice or paste with 2-3 teaspoons of olive oil.
- Consume this mixture regularly.
- Make sure to consult your doctor before taking these tomatoes regularly.
Olive oil with carrot oil
Both oils contain linoleic that keeps the skin hydrated.
- Mix 2 drops of carrot seed oil in 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- Apply on the affected skin, massaging gently and leave for 5 minutes.
- Rinse off with warm water and repeat regularly.
Olive oil with Avocado
Avocado contains vitamins A, C, E and B-complex which helps to clear the wrinkles naturally.
- Mash 3-4 avocado slices then mix in ½ teaspoon of olive oil.
- Apply this mixture on your face and neck and massage it gently in circular motions.
- Leave for 15-20 minutes to dry, before washing off with water.
- Repeat this process regularly.
Olive oil with rose essential oil
- Mix 6 drops of rose essential oil in 1oz of olive oil.
- Apply this on a clean and dry face
- Massage it gently for few minutes by concentrating more on wrinkles.
- Leave on for a few minutes overnight then wash and dry the skin.
- Apply this combination regularly to tighten the skin.
Note: You can replace rose essential oil with 3 drops each of Ylang Ylang and lavender essential oil.
Olive oil for neck wrinkles
Here are a few olive oil methods that deal exclusively with neck wrinkles.
Olive oil with shea butter and coconut oil for neck wrinkles
Shea butter has an anti-oxidant content that restores the skin’s elasticity.
- Mix together shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil and almond oil.
- Apply on a clean neck, massaging gently and leave for a few minutes. Wash off but re-apply regularly.
- You can also apply this on your face.
Side effects of olive oil on eyes
Olive oil is good for eyes and other parts of your body. Olive oil works for puffy eyes, black eyes and dry eyes. On the other hand olive oil can enter into your eyes by accident and you will need to clean them up on time. Firstly you flush your eyes with warm and clean water without a facial cleanser. Secondly apply a warm and watery towel compress your eyes for 5 minutes. Then lastly, drop some basic eye drops which may reduce your uncomfortable if your eyes still feel irritation or pain.